Sunday, June 16, 2024

Watering The Grass - A Father's Day Reflection

After a long, hot day of work my dad enjoyed sitting on the front porch, smoking his pipe and watering the lawn. On hot evenings, he'd let my friends and I run through the stream of the hose to cool off. You see, growing up in the 70's, we found fun in everything we did.


As I grew older, I would simply sit next to my "old man" and chat about life. He wasn't one to be be forthcoming and share, but if I asked him questions he would open up. I love listening to tales of his childhood and would hand on every word when he told stories of his time in the South Pacific during WWII. The man was always calm and cool but had a mischievous streak which I see in my sons today.

Dad was called upon in 1994, to be a good Marine and guard the pearly gates of Heaven when I was only 27.

While sitting on the steps on my deck, watering my grass, I think back to a simpler time when I sat next to my dad. Closing my eyes, I smell the damp grass and pipe smoke.

Happy Father's Day in Heaven to Uncle Jack (r) and Dad (l).


No comments: