Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Proposition


Erick stood and looked out the window. The evening was closing in.
People leaving work, going home or stopping at favorite pubs filled the streets. He
hoped Penny was all right. This was the longest he had left her alone. The least
she could do was chew up his running shoes; he needed a new pair anyway.

The night before he had taken her on a long walk along Regent Street,
looking for a particular address. Once found, Erick noticed the crummy
conditions his courier lived in. The building, as broken down as it was, housed a
couple of small shops and several tiny apartments. An advertisement for an open
apartment was taped on the door. It was a two-bedroom space for four to six
people. Erick thought of his large flat and how many times it felt small to him and
Michael.

He felt more determined than ever to make an offer to Duncan Phillips.
When he arrived at fifteen past ten in the morning Sally gave him a sealed
envelope with his name on it. Inside was a note to stop by Erick’s office after he
finished work and an enticing amount of money. If the kid didn’t show he at least
had some spending cash, but Erick was confident he would come.

A knock on his door turned his attention from the window and his thoughts.
The young man clad in black leather, holding the white envelope stood in the
doorway. His hair pulled back in a ponytail, bangs fell in his green eyes. He stood
with confidence but his face held the look of bewilderment.

“Duncan Phillips?” Erick asked.

He nodded and shook Erick’s hand when it was offered.

“I’m Erick McAlister.”

“I know.” He sat in the chair Erick pointed to. “What do you want with
me?”

“I have proposition for you.”

“Wait a minute!” Duncan jumped up. “I don’t know what you think I am,
but I don’t do that sort of thing!”

“Calm down, sit!” Erick laughed. “You remind me of myself. Unbelievable. If we weren’t so close in age, I would have thought I could be your father.”

Erick stood close to Duncan and looked down into his face. His eyebrows
were dark, his forehead broad, his nose ended with a round tip, just like his own.
Poor kid was confused about being there; best tell him, he thought.

“I bought a bike and I want to hire you to teach me how to ride it. I’ll pay
you well for your time and your silence.”

Duncan slid deeper into the chair, thought for a moment then broke out in
a laugh. Erick was pleased that he didn’t intimidate him. The kid was bold.

“You want me to teach you how to ride a motorbike?” He laughed. “And
you’ll pay me?”

Erick sat on the edge of his desk in front of Duncan.

“Yes. It’s that simple.”

“Why me?”

“I’ve seen you ride. You’re good. I hate driving in London. I watch the couriers and they make it look so easy and fun!” Erick turned to Duncan. “I want to feel that freedom.”


Excerpt from Tormented Soul - book two of the Soul Series


1 comment:

Philip O'Mara said...

Great story.
Read a great new sporting comedy, entitled Classes Apart.
This is an adult sporting comedy that follows the fortunes of Paul Marriot, the secretary of the Barnstorm Village Sunday soccer team and coach of a school cricket team in Yorkshire, England. The story describes the remarkable camaraderie between the players and supporters of this little club and their desire to achieve success. The team had previously been known more for its antics off the field, rather than their performances on it.

During his time at the club he meets and becomes involved with Emma Potter, who is the sister of James Potter, a major player for their bitter rivals Moortown Inn. Thus, begins an entangled web of romance and conflict. He also begins working at Derry High School, a school with a poor reputation of academic success, where he becomes coach of the school cricket team. Here he develops an amazing relationship with the children and they embark on an epic journey.
www.eloquentbooks.com/ClassesApart.html