Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Now, I Follow You.

        At first, I carried you.

Then I walked beside you.

Then I followed close behind.

But now, I follow you from a distance.

I've dropped back to where I belong at this particular mile marker of your journey. 

Now, it's time for you to take the lead and for me to trust I taught you well enough when I carried you and when we walked side-by-side for you to feel secure out in front.

But I'm still here, and that helps us both. I'm only a few mile back, watching you do your thing. Watching you choose, navigate, figure out your path. You are capable, careful and considerate. It is a privilege to watch you, see you as a fine young man.

As an observer of your life, I am not displaced; I am in the right place. I'm only a text, phone call or FaceTime chat or a drive away. Letting you go gradually is what helps you do it well and me do it at all.

This is Love that has loosened its grip. This is Love that will always hold on, just more loosely. This a Love that has an open palm outstretched, in case you need to grab onto it again.

This is Love still at the ready, so if you say, "Are you coming, Mother?" my answer will always be, "Yes, I'm coming. I'll be there soon."



I love my boys and am super proud of the wonderful men they are becoming.

No comments: