Monday, October 5, 2009

Tuesday's Teaser


Excerpt from Painted Soulbook one of the Soul Series

Elizabeth raced up the stairs into a room she hadn’t occupied for any length of time since she was eighteen. She wanted to pack a few items and call her brother, knowing it would be late at night in London. She was hoping Erick would be there, but if so, he probably wasn’t alone. Elizabeth smirked at the thought of her brothers’ good looks and ways with women. They could even use their charms and financial power to turn men inside out as well. Yes, she could always count on her brothers, and now more than ever.

Elizabeth quickly dialed the number to the flat, praying she wasn’t interrupting anything.

“McAlister speaking,” a masculine voice answered.

“Erick, it’s me. Am I calling at a bad time?” Elizabeth held her breath. She always felt embarrassed when she disturbed her brothers’ liaisons.

“No, I always have time for you. I was just waiting for the sandman,” Erick’s smile came through with his voice on the line. “What’s up? When are you coming to England to see me?”

“Actually, I’m leaving tomorrow night. Hold on I’m putting you on speaker phone while I pack.”

“Tomorrow? This is sudden. Let me guess, Father finally dealt the last straw and you are escaping to Hampton House.”

Elizabeth felt warmth as if her brother was in the room with her, instead of miles away.

"He was such a jerk to me. I swear he hates me and I don’t even know why. I’ve never asked much from him except for a little emotion,” she choked. “He says he wants me to face my responsibilities. You know, get married and become a house jockey.”

She heard Erick laugh at her term for the pampered, wealthy wives in their father’s circle of friends. Their only duties were to run a household and smile pretty. She preferred to remain herself, rather than become an outdated debutante who took out her frustrations on the staff. The staff at Hampton House was always given respect, and in return she received their loyalty.

“I have an idea, Erick, but I need your help and Michael’s, too,” she spoke while fumbling with clothing.

“Oh, do tell little sister. You have my full attention. You’ve never asked us to help before. You always preferred to fight your own battles. What on earth do you have up your sleeve?” Erick wondered.

“Well, first I’ll move to Hampton House and update mother’s studio. It won’t take much, since I brought over so much stuff on my previous trips,” Elizabeth paused to digest her thoughts. “I think I can do it.”

“Do what? Please go on.”

“I really want to open my own gallery in London!” There, she said it.

“Well, London is going to be tough,” Erick cautioned. “It’s not like Chicago or New York.”

Elizabeth’s heart began to sink with a sudden lack of confidence. Her brothers had always believed in her.

“But I know you can do it, Elizabeth. The Brits will love you!” Elizabeth felt the excitement rise as she listened to Erick continue, “Michael and I have some good contacts that could help you get started fast. You could stay in the flat while we search for the perfect gallery. Don’t worry. We’ll have Father bragging about his talented, self-sufficient, independent daughter in no time.”

“Oh, Erick! I could hug you!”

“You’ll have your chance. I’ll drive down to Sussex day after tomorrow. Are you sure you have time to prepare for this big move?”

“I’ve been preparing my whole life to get out of this hell hole! I have artwork in both galleries ready at a moment’s notice to be shipped. My accounts are in order, and nothing is keeping me here. The U.S. galleries can run themselves; I have great people managing them. Besides, I feel I need to go back to England,” she paused for a moment, “like I’m being summoned or something. Am I being weird?”

“No, I understand. It’s time for this move. You’re more than ready. Oh, by the way, if you have time, could you pick up some Baby Ruth candy bars for me?”

“Sure, sweets for my sweet, big brother, anything else?”

“Ah, um, no,” came a hushed reply.

Elizabeth heard a noise coming through the line sounding like a low moan and kissing.

“Oh, no!” she felt her face redden, “I did interrupt something, you gigolo. Why didn’t you tell me? I hope you can keep your pants on long enough to help me. I’ll let you go. Don’t catch anything, and I’ll see you soon!”

Erick laughed. He loved teasing his sister. But she really wasn’t interrupting anything yet. He and Michael had been waiting a long time for Elizabeth to make this decision. She had to return to England. Nothing could have distracted him from this phone conversation. Well, almost nothing. He put down the phone and rolled over to greet the beautiful woman sitting on the edge of his bed.


“Alert the London art world she’s coming.”

“Oh,” the scarlet woman smiled, “and especially London’s newest top artist.”

They were interrupted by the ringing of the phone.

“It’s probably my sister again.” He turned and spoke into the receiver, “Hey did you forget something?”

“Come again?” the voice was deep, masculine and British.

“Oh, sorry, I thought you were someone else. What can I do for you at this late hour my friend?”

“Erick, I need you to call off the hounds. Those reporters from that trash newspaper, Street Review, have been sniffing around. I don’t need them digging up anything from my past. They’re not going to stop until they find out who I am, especially that Jon Jameson!” The voice ranted on, “I don’t know why you don’t just sell that rag to some group who wants to publish religious articles.”

“Don’t worry about them. Just remember, as long as they work for me, I control them. If I didn’t pay their wages, someone else would, and the cat might be out of the bag. Calm down and go paint something. I think you’re overreacting but I’ll take care of it.”

“You’re right. Thanks friend. I knew you wouldn’t let me down. I’ve been mulling again.”

“Don’t forget, I was in your past. It’s my ass too!”

A low grumble came through the line. “I guess I’m just starting to crack a bit. I’m sure I’m going to have to choose one of these days. But not yet!”

“I know, Mr. Control. Don’t worry. I’ll take care of everything.”

“Thanks again, goodnight.”

“Was that...?” Reva asked.

“Yes,” Erick replied with a smile. “I wish I could look into the future.”

“Let’s just get through tonight. Hmm…”


Purchase Painted Soul

No comments: