Monday, July 7, 2008

Painted Soul - excerpt 2

BLURB:
A contemporary romance with a twist, Painted Soul is a story that takes the reader on a wonderful ride in an artist’s life, through the streets of London, and into the shadows of the underground.

Elizabeth McAlister was only eighteen when she met the art student, Puzzola in a London nightclub and gave him her heart. Ten years later, they meet again when a summer of intense passion and dark secrets begins.

As Elizabeth falls deeper in love with Puzzola, she tries to rescue him from tortured memories he refuses to discuss. Eventually, his double life and erotic past are exposed in a local newspaper just as he is involved in a life-threatening accident.



EXCERPT 2

“I used to get butterflies just thinking about Puzzola or the night we met,” the sherry was loosening her tongue. "Now I’m in the same country and I’m going crazy knowing he’s not far away. I feel tingles all over. Am I nuts? I don’t even really know him, we just danced and that was ten years ago!”

Erick tapped her on the nose. “You are not nuts. He may be closer than you think,” he laughed. “He’s still hot for you, I’m sure,” he moaned. “I wish I were in your shoes right now!”

“What?” Elizabeth laughed. “I thought you preferred women.”

“Ugh!” Erick put her in a headlock and rubbed the top of her head with his knuckles. “I do prefer women! Don’t ever think that again, young lady!” He released her with a shove, “I meant the idea of embarking on the greatest trip of your life. I remember an artist I slept with once, and she was incredible! She was even better than the dancer. Oh the dancer could move alright, but the artist was so creative,” he jeered. “You should have seen them together. Hot!”

“Now you’re grossing me out,” she threw a pillow at her brother’s sultry grin.

He caught the pillow but didn’t lose the grin, “Well since we are having a heart to heart conversation and sex is one of the topics, can I ask you something?”

“You ask me? This is a first. Shoot away, brother dear.”

“Who did you give your virginity to? Was it that guy in college?”

Elizabeth couldn’t believe she was having this discussion with her brother. The sherry must have been stronger that she thought.

“Yes, it was Rob.”

She recalled the sexy young artist from her classes. Rob Duvall, tall, dark and handsome. His passion for his art surpassed her passion for painting. There was sexual tension between them from the first day they met. It was only a short time before he convinced her to pose nude for a drawing. Only she ended up in his bed, and many other places, time and time again. He took her when he wanted, and left her feeling exhausted and empty every time he walked out the door. Their relationship turned into a game of how quick, how often and how few words.

“He looked a bit like Puzzola. But he was a total jerk, Elizabeth. I was pleased when you broke up with him.”

“Things just didn’t feel right, Erick. We were great together in the studio, the dark room and the gallery,” she laughed at her brother’s gaping expression. “But we couldn’t carry on a normal conversation. Do you suppose, in my subconscious, he was a substitute for Puzzola?”

1 comment:

Amber said...

Sounds like a great book. I am so happy for you that your book will be in Target. I will have to buy a copy. Take care.