Monday, January 8, 2024

Ask the Author: "How did you become a writer?"


As a child, I was a daydreamer. I loved creative play and listening to my grandmother tell tales of her youth. As I grew older, I fell in love with books and learned to put words together to create my own stories. In high school I wrote silly love stories for friends and poetry. In college I learned from a wonderful professor the skills and freedom of how to use the words I knew rather than fancy words not in my everyday vocabulary. With such tools and the creativity in my mind, I became a writer.


Ironically, my first book "Painted Soul" published in 2004 was based on a short story I wrote in a notebook when I was 16 years old, visiting friends in England. "Painted Soul" became the first book in a series of five, three of which were published by Vanilla Heart Publishing.


The Soul Series has been pulled out of publishing and I've received the rights back. I am currently reworking the books and completing the series for future publishing.

I recommend to those who wish to write, to do so often. Keep notebooks full of stories and poetry. You never know when years later, one of those little tales will inspire something much larger. 😉


No comments: