Thursday, June 4, 2020

A Romantic Desk - Old to New

Logs homes are basically very masculine. It can be rather difficult to add "a woman's touch" to wood walls decorated with wildlife and old tin signs advertising guns or fishing equipment. I decided to take over the bedroom to add a feminine touch.

Our bedroom has a bit of a bohemian flare. The dark gem colors compliment the light pine walls and dark hickory floor. I love beads and baubles, crystals and other shiny things. 

I chose the wall separating my walk-in closet and bathroom door to turn into "my space". I wanted a spot to write out cards to friends and family (yes, I still use the U.S. postal service). 

While scrolling on Facebook one day, I came across a post from one of my favorite shops, 

Well, first of all, I have to tell you about this place! The Rusty Blue Shelf is an antique and vintage market that is only open at certain times of each month. Visiting this quaint store is truly an experience. Grab a cup of iced coffee when you walk in and wander. The owner is an incredible sweet gal and the individual booths are set up with an artistic flow to inspire. The staff is super friendly and its so fun to discuss projects with them.  Be sure to take photos of where you need an item and they will help you find the perfect one. They love to see photos of where their items go. You will not only leave with a purchase you love but also new friends who will remember you each time you visit. They plan to have an Open Market June 11-14. If you happen to be in Mid-Michigan or close to Flushing... be sure to check it out!

Okay... back to my story.

I saw a photo a refurbished desk featured in a post. The desk was similar to one my grandmother had in her bedroom from the 1920's. I fell in love! 20 minutes later, I was in Flushing and looking at the desk.  Not only did I purchase the desk, but also the matching chair and the mirror. Luckily, I had my youngest son with me to load.

Using antique decor I already had created a nice little space.




The hooks under the mirror hold my long necklaces; easy to grab when going from the closet to the bathroom when matching outfits. The picture is from my grandmother's house. I placed books and a miniature tea cup/saucer set on the shelves. A decorated box holds my greeting cards. Everything you see in the photo above is recycled, reused or vintage.


By creating little displays or vignettes, romance can be brought into any space.

I spent $6 on the antique velvet purse and $1 on the broach.
Attaching the pin to a beaded candle holder created a unique display.

Items found at yard sales. I added the beads to the lamp shade.



Do you have a favorite resale, antique or vintage shop you visit?


No comments: