Monday, August 19, 2019

Young Love

Trevor & Jordie (The Future Mr & Mrs. Quast)
Over the weekend, we hosted an engagement party for my son and his fiance. (I'm so blessed with my future daughter.) Everyone was in town for a local festival so we embraced the opportunity to pull the wedding party, parents and grandparents together. The bride and groom came up with created ideas to ask their closest friends (& brothers) to stand with them. My son gave each fella a nice soft cooler filled with a 12 pack of their favorite brew. The bride gave each gal a pair of colored sneakers (that will be later hand-painted with flowers). With each gift was a personal card with their request. Love and joy flowed as high school friends, college friends and relatives began a special bond.


Melting me with his words.
Nov. 2, 1991
The event gave me reflection of my own engagement. My future hubby and I had been dating for a mere six months when he popped the question. His parents threw us an engagement party with our closest friends who we asked to be in our wedding. (I'll always remember that night because it was one of only two times I was allowed to drive his beloved IROC.) Well anyways... that evening was special and our friendships grew stronger.

Sept. 2018
Looking at my dear hubby of  almost 28 years, I remember how young we were and so much in love. Back then, love seemed fast, hot and intense. Now?  It's not as fast, maybe not as intense but more like slow and sensual...like savoring great flavors and sensations. Certainly hotter than what it was in the beginning! Maybe over the years we've learned to "read" each other. We know how to push each other's buttons, if you know what I mean. *wink, wink* That sizzling glance that used to mean "I want you" now means "Baby, you know how I can make you scream my name". That comes with time and experience.

Think of young love as like fast food and being together for a long time is like fine dining. However, fast food is still part of the diet... nothing beats a quick sandwich at noon.

Ah... but young love. Nothing compares to it. The time of feeling your heart beat out of your chest. Time of learning and exploring each other. The time of uncontrollable and overflowing happiness. (Remember how you were always trying to fix up your single friends?)

What memories do you have of your beginnings?

No comments: