I live in a small community in Mid-Michigan and every year during the third weekend in August we host the Montrose Blueberry Festival. (Yes, we do have many places to pick berries!) But for those who have never attended our festival, here are a few reasons to zip into my town for a visit.
1. Blueberries… everything blueberries! Yummy! Pie eating contest!
|My son is a master pancake flipper|
2. Blueberry pancake breakfast on Sat & Sun. We serve 4,000 hungry folks. My family has been working the breakfast for years, so come on it and I’ll take a break to chat.
|Gypsy Lady and her wares|
3. Medieval Village & Renaissance Faire. Montrose is Scottish for “mountain of roses”. In this hilly farming community, many wild roses grow around fields and in ditches. Working with the knowledge of our Scottish heritage and members from the greater Renaissance Festival folk from the Shiabruck Medieval Village, we’ve put together an amazing village and faire. Stop by
and meet my special friends, Gypsy and Hagrid. Gypsy made the original necklace Mike McAlister wears in Lonely Soul.
4. The awesome parade.
5. Farmers Market. The best food to put into your body is wholesome home grown! You simply must get one of Amy’s fruit breads!!!
6. Flea Market and craft show. I lose myself in there every year; the boys have to lure me out with chocolate.
7. Softball, 5-mile road race and horseshoes. Great opportunities to see some shirtless men! Did I just write that?
8. Mud Drag & Mud Bog for those who still enjoy playing in the mud.
9. The golf scramble is fun and works up an appetite.
10. Demolition Derby. A great way to take out aggression.
11. The Karaoke contest with a $500 prize. No… you will never hear me. I’d scare everyone away.
12. Wine & Cheese Tasting is a favorite of my coffee club gal pals.
13. Classic Car Show.
Throughout the town and township, there are a ton of rummage sales offering wonderful treasures. I hope many of you take a break from your busy schedule and visit. If I’m available, I’ll let you know where the best goodies are. Hugs!
Visit www.montroseblueberryfestival.net/ for more info.