We have a house guest
who is on a gluten free diet and I found this delicious soup everyone enjoyed.
It's perfect with sandwiches on a cold winter day.
Lentil & Sweet Potato Soup
· 2 tablespoons canola oil
· 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
· 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
· 2 medium celery ribs, chopped
· 1 bay leaf
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
· 2 cups dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
· 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice
· 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
· 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
· 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
· Coarse salt and black pepper
· Plain low-fat yogurt, for serving
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, carrots, celery, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and curry powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
Add 7 cups of water and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Add potatoes and continue to cook, covered, until lentils and potato are just tender, about 15 minutes.
Add green beans and tomatoes with juice. Cook until warmed through, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Add cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Serve with yogurt.