Thursday, August 16, 2012
Thursday 13 - Reasons You Should Attend the Montrose Blueberry Festival
I live in a small community in Mid-Michigan and every year during the third weekend in August we host the Montrose Blueberry Festival. (Yes, we do have many places to pick berries!) But for those who have never attended our festival, here are a few reasons to zip into my town for a visit.
1. Blueberries… everything blueberries! Blueberry doughnuts at the Montrose Orchards. Blueberry ice cream at Carie's Caboose Yummy! Pie eating contest!
2. Blueberry pancake breakfast on Sat & Sun. We serve 4,000 hungry folks. The sausages are the kids favorites. My family has been working the breakfast for years, so come to it and I’ll take a break to chat. (If you have teen girls in your family, the Montrose Football team will be working on Sunday. wink, wink)
3. Medieval Village & Renaissance Faire. Montrose is Scottish for “mountain of roses”. In this hilly farming community, many wild roses grow around fields and in ditches. Celebrating our Scottish heritage along with members from the greater Renaissance Festival folk from the Shiabruck Medieval Village, we’ve put together an amazing village and faire. Stop by and meet my special friends, Gypsy and Hagrid. Gypsy made the original necklace Mike McAlister wears in my book "Lonely Soul".
4. The awesome parade. Saturday at 1:00. Find your spot after you've finished eatting your blueberry pancakes.
5. The Carnival and Midway are a blast! Lemonade, Rootbeer, and Elephant Ears.
6. Flea Market and craft show. I lose myself in there every year; the boys have to lure me out with chocolate.
7. Classic Car Show.
8. Mud Drag & Mud Bog for those who still enjoy playing in the mud.
9. Elf Khurafeh Shriners Pig Roast.
10. Live music and a karaoke contest. No way… you won’t hear me sing!
11. Softball Tournaments, horseshoes, Tug-of-War Challenge!
12. Montrose historical & Telephone Pioneer Museum will be open. FREE. Donations welcome.
Visit the Blueberry Website for more info.