Monday, November 17, 2008

Cleaning Day - Gotta Love Those Totes!


I'm approaching the end of my little book tour and I'm oh so thankful for the person who invented plastic totes. My faithful bin has been incredibly helpful carrying my books, posters, book stands, easels, and other odd-n-ends to my signing events.

I use these same totes for storing out of season clothes, hunting clothes, sporting goods, camping gear, holiday decorations and rummage sale items. With a label on each bin, searching for an item is easy.I love the clear bins so I can see exactly what's inside. Plus, using these bins helps clear the clutter!

They stack nicely in a closet, on a shelf, or against a wall. Items inside are protected from mice in the attic or a flooding basement. I like to keep cedar bars or fragrant sachets in bins holding clothing. I even have a wafer-like disc that smells like leaves and dirt I put into the bin holding my husband's hunting clothes.

I've taken three small bins and made them into time capsules for my sons. The outfit each boy wore the day he came home from the hospital and the one he wore for his baptismal are in the bins. Early artwork, items from birthday parties, notes from relatives, newspapers from the day each was born... these are all items in their bins.

Several bins hold art supplies for the classes I teach. Having such organized bins makes it easy for me to pack for a lesson outside of my studio.

Uses for totes are endless and you can still use those fun packing peanuts.
What can you fit into a tote?

You know... that bin might get a bit too heavy and you might need a little help carrying it.

No comments: