Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Humpday Help - Just an Ordinary Day


Ack! I'm late! After getting the boys off to school this rainy morn, I took hubby to the airport then with toddler in tow, when to the grocery store for a can good sale. The only thing wrong with that sentence is taking the toddler to the store. Ugh! For a three year old, Nate the Great is a determined fellow. As I was carefully selecting the can goods to stock my pantry, so was he... with the most expensive items! Along comes the temper tantrum as I put his items back on the shelf. *sigh* Just an ordinary day for me.

Now he's eating lunch while I nibble on a piece of homemade raisin bread and sip vanilla caramel flavored coffee. Ahhh..... Even the guinea pig is quiet right now.

Oh, that bread went down to easy. I sit and think of the other day when I made it with Nate's help. He carefully poured the ingredients into the mixer along with extra raisins; his tongue ever so slightly sticking out of his mouth. We had flour all over the place but he was so darn cute!

As I sit back with that thought, I take a sip of my coffee. For a moment I think of all the hands and human ingenuity that brought this heavenly beverage to land in my routine. Amazing... when you think about it.

I open my window. The birds are unusually loud today. Perhaps they are grateful for the rain; perhaps it's one last chance at having a juicy worm for a meal. The weather seems to have washed away the troublesome pollen and has brought the autumn air smelling of leaves and earth.

It seems blessings fall; no matter what the day. As I think about my ordinary day, little miracles of life are all around. This beautiful, heartbreaking wonderful world is an ongoing love letter from God. We just need to stop and read it.

"Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

2 comments:

Bethanne said...

Hi Mary! I love your Hump Day Help! It's so easy to forget all the blessings...

I love to bake and my two little boys LOVE to help [make a mess]. :D

Krista Heiser said...

"This beautiful, heartbreaking wonderful world is an ongoing love letter from God. We just need to stop and read it."

What a lovely sentiment!